Wednesday, September 16

getting up to speed

i'm not a "blogger" the way they want me to be but i'm gonna take it slow and give it a shot. here's my "blog" about a couple videos i just spend 2+ hours watching and my visit to the New Museum. guess i'll go in the order in which i completed my reactions to each.

The New Museum:
Dorothy Iannone's Lioness Exhibit
[Being that it took me a lot longer to find parking than I anticipated and there was ridiculous amounts of traffic on the way from New Brunswick heading north, I got to the museum at 5:36p and they were kind enough to let me in for free. I also only had enough time to see the Lioness exhibit and I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to look at if anything specific. I had mixed feelings about it.]


Dorothy Iannone, a feminist or not? hard to tell. her artwork reveals herself as the sexually dominant partner but also the oppressed. she is called lioness, so maybe she wore the pants? the exhibit is supposedly her belief in the "relationship between body and its intangible counterparts--love, spirituality, and soul." it is clear, however, that she finds orgasm to be a means of spirituality but i see it as a mere obsession with sexual pleasure confused with nirvana. i wouldn't think the aggressive roles played in her work relate to love, spirituality, or soul at all, but instead just pleasure. The titles throw me off a little though too. My first reaction to the title "i am whoever you want me to be" [left] alongside the image of her in submission to her male counterpart was that she had a skewed perspective of love and believed sex to be the central focus.



A Bucket of Blood

[Quite entertaining to say the least.]


"a rock is a rock or a statue... a sound is a sound or music." a busboy is a busboy or an artist. a bucket of blood is walter paisley's desire to be renowned for his artistic talent that he does not embody. an accident turned art is something i'm sure we can all relate to [we've all had happy accidents in our work and claimed them to be intentional]. walter's skewed and perverse inspiration seems to mock the perspective of those on the outside of the art world who want in.



Untitled Fall '95

by Alex Bag

[Humorous, Sad, Boring, but true.]


Alex Bag's video, "Untitled Fall '95" definitely touches a few nerves--some good, some bad. It does showcase a lot of the typical qualities of art students going into school and as they go through the motions. I can definitely relate and I really enjoyed how she made a mockery of herself while still saying very true things that we can all identify with. Some of the set-pieces confused me like the bunny one for example.. don't have much to say about that, but others I saw as so cliche and I think that's where she was going with a few of them. The Bjork set-piece was interesting too because the reaction of Bag is identifiable as well (minus her overdramatic expressions). I could sense the feelings of anxiety and frustration and what I got out of it is that we're all sucked into pop culture but we just don't see it and most of us deny it.



until next time... something to look at.

1 comment: