
by Steven Heller
I found this article to be an interesting look back into the past of typography--that, then, it was a "bold move" to set the title of a magazine in lowercase. Also, the introduction to the subconscious and conscious eye was interesting because it is something we don't realize but see the validity in it--how it is our subconscious that tells us whether or not we aesthetically enjoy a piece or are attracted to it. I also realized the truth in the statement that our eye gets used to a certain treatment when it is used consistently, which may be why Vanity Fair decided to return to the capital letters treatment after 5 issues of lowercase--it was no longer a shock to our conscious eye. I agree with Heller, also, that lowercase is naturally a more beautiful treatment of type than having the first letter of each word capital. I think we can all agree on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment