
by David Barringer
Barringer's article Is There Bauhaus in IKEA can be found in the archive on Design Observer's website. It gives a closer look at IKEA's principles and finds certain parallels between Bauhaus' principles and their own while realizing its differences. Bauhaus principles reacted to industrialization and aimed at providing better and more affordable living for those suffering during the hard times after the First World War. They go against the principle of 'art for art's sake', however Barringer seems to believe that IKEA parallels it. He said the size of the furniture isn't even large enough for Americans today, even our kids. I'm not sure I trust his opinion on all of the matter, especially because this is based on his first, and long awaited visit to IKEA. It is interesting, however, how he pointed out the dotted lines on the floor that guide the customers around the store, clearly in a mapped out fashion by the store's designers. You do get lost in IKEA and like Barringer, being that you exit in a different location you entered, can never find your car. I'm not sure why Barringer wanted to find a Bauhaus connection with IKEA but I see a slight basis in the simplified and affordable design of their products, but not principle.
No comments:
Post a Comment